Good research requires a good team. When we have open positions, you will find them here. Please check back often and reach out to us with questions.
To apply, please follow the link to the ZipRecruiter posting here: https://www.ziprecruiter.com/job/f7dc74ff
Range And Row, LLC is looking to hire a variable-time, seasonal Research Technician to support field research activities. The Research Technician’s role is to support the day-to-day needs of the Research Leader as they plan and execute tasks required to conduct agricultural research trials. Some tasks require multiple people for a single task, and at other times there may be multiple separate tasks that need to occur simultaneously. These tasks may include measuring field sites, preparing and operating research-scale farm equipment, taking field notes, preparing seed packets, collecting samples, and more.
This position is starting out as a seasonal position, but here is high potential for this to transition into a season-long or permanent position.
Duties and Responsibilities
Most tasks are to be completed while working side-by-side with the Research Leader. Occasionally, some tasks will be assigned as solo work. In all cases, training and familiarization will be provided, along with PPE as required.
- Operate research-scale farm equipment, including but not limited to a ~6O hp tractor and plot drill/planter
- Prepare equipment prior to heading to the field (e.g., Lubrication, modification, calibration)
- Measure and mark field sites with flags and other tools
- Make observations and record specific notes within field trials
- Fill packets with seeds, fertilizer, or other products
- Label and organize seed packets
- Collect soil/tissue samples and assist with packaging and shipping of samples
- Start/stop/move irrigation equipment
- Other duties as assigned
Minimum Qualifications include:
- Experience operating tractors and/or other equipment
- Familiarity with farming operations and/or agronomy concepts
- High School diploma or equivalency
- Ability to lift 50lb
- Ability to work outdoors in variable weather conditions with limited accommodations
- Flexible to work long and variable hours as dictated by weather and other scheduling factors
- Flexible to work weekends as needed
- Agility to change plans in real-time as priorities and conditions demand
- Legally qualified to work in the United States
- Experience working with agricultural research plots, field demos, or other specialty ag projects
- Experience maintaining AG equipment
- Education related to agronomy, soil and/or plant health, or agricultural/diesel mechanics
- Current driver’s license with safe driving history
This role requires long periods of time outdoors in variable conditions including heat, cold, wind, sun, etc. Vehicles at the field site will often serve as the “office” and a short drive will be required to use restroom facilities or other related services.
This job does require occasional heavy lifting (~50+lbs), bending, reaching, standing, etc. While these activities are often not occurring throughout the entire day, a moderate degree of physical ability is required over the course of the day and season. A successful candidate will need to be able to complete these activities in the work environment described with only limited special accommodations.
This job may require many sequential days of work, including 8+ hours days and/or weekend work. Alternatively, there may be days where no work is needed for 1 or more days in a row. This schedule will remain flexible to accommodate the needs of the business and weather conditions. This position is primarily focused on tasks to be completed in March through May of 2023, but has strong potential to turn into a longer-term or permanent opportunity for the right candidate.